Click here CornPalace
KWYR - Magic 93 - Country 1260
Weather
News
Sports
Magic 93
Country 1260
Contests
Horoscopes
Advertising
Contact Us
Staff Bios
Photo's
Agriculture
Sinte Gleska University Click here to visit Whetham Realty.
 


Window to the Weekend!
Today: Showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 80. South wind around 15 mph.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely before 1am, then showers between 1am and 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 57.

Friday: Showers likely, mainly between 7am and 1pm. Cloudy, and breezy, with a high near 64.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 41. North wind 7 to 17 mph.

Click Here For Any Cancellations & Postponements!

News

  • Top Stories
  • National
  • World
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

Potential Trial Date Set for UVA Student Martese Johnson

Photo by Zach Gibson/Getty Images(CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.) -- A potential trial date was set Thursday for the University of Virginia student who was left bloodied after being arrested outside of a Charlottesville bar, but the charges against him could still be dropped.

Honors student Martese Johnson was arrested by state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents outside a bar near campus on March 18 and the incident sparked protests over police brutality.

In late March, Johnson was expected to enter a not-guilty plea but did not because the prosecution asked for a continuance in the case.

Johnson was charged with public intoxication and obstructing justice.

The Commonwealth's Attorney Office has until June 12 to determine if they will drop the charges or not. If the charges are not dropped, the trial date has been set for Sept. 30.

"We are optimistic that once the investigation has been included, the prosecution will agree that the ABC officers did not have reasonable suspicion to apprehend and arrest Martese and that the charges will be dismissed," Johnson's attorney's office said in a statement.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

More Stories

Potential Trial Date Set for UVA Student Martese Johnson

Photo by Zach Gibson/Getty Images(CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.) -- A potential trial date was set Thursday for the University of Virginia student who was left bloodied after being arrested outside of a Charlottesville bar, but the charges against him could still be dropped.

Honors student Martese Johnson was arrested by state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents outside a bar near campus on March 18 and the incident sparked protests over police brutality.

In late March, Johnson was expected to enter a not-guilty plea but did not because the prosecution asked for a continuance in the case.

Johnson was charged with public intoxication and obstructing justice.

The Commonwealth's Attorney Office has until June 12 to determine if they will drop the charges or not. If the charges are not dropped, the trial date has been set for Sept. 30.

"We are optimistic that once the investigation has been included, the prosecution will agree that the ABC officers did not have reasonable suspicion to apprehend and arrest Martese and that the charges will be dismissed," Johnson's attorney's office said in a statement.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

More Stories

WHO: Yemen Turmoil Has Put 'Lives of Millions of People...At Risk'

Jon Gorr/iStock/Thinkstock(SANA'A, Yemen) -- The situation in Yemen, where Houthi rebels have taken control of swaths of land, is growing worse, World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan said in a statement Thursday.

Just over two months into the conflict, the WHO is reporting nearly 2,000 people killed and 8,000 injured. Those figures, Chan notes, include hundreds of women and children.

With almost 8.6 million people "in urgent need of medical help," Chan says the WHO sent about 48 tons of medicine into Yemen during a five-day cease-fire earlier this month. That medicine, she noted, served about 400,000 people.

"As the conflict continues, more lives are lost every day," Chan said. "Not just due to the violence, but as a health system that has been seriously damaged barely copes with the extraordinary needs posed by the unrelenting violent conflict and can no loner provide them with the health services they need to stay alive."

"The health and lives of millions of people are at risk," she urged.

"This unnecessary loss of innocent lives cannot go on," concluded Chan. "All parties must respect their obligations under international humanitarian law to protect civilians, health facilities and health staff during conflict and to permit the supply of vital humanitarian aid...to areas where it is needed most."

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

More Stories

Governor Christie Pulls New Jersey Schools Out Of Common Core

Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images(PEMBERTON, New Jersey) -- Governor Chris Christie says Common Core education standards are “not working” for New Jersey, and he wants the state to try a new, more Jersey-focused system. 

It’s now been five years since Common Core was adopted," Christie said. "And the truth is that it’s simply not working." 

The presumed Presidential hopeful joins ranks of Republican governors who are critical of the education standards, including Bobby Jindal of Louisiana and Scott Walker of Wisconsin. Common Core is currently in use in over 40 states, including New Jersey.

The system creates a set of Math and English teaching standards for K-12 classrooms. South Carolina and Indiana, two states that have successfully backed out of the system have come under fire for creating their own standards that are criticized for being nearly identical copies of Common Core.

Christie's remarks come in sharp contrast to the support Florida Governor Jeb Bush has recently expressed for the education standards. Neither has announced whether they will run for president in 2016, though both are considered potential candidates.

"It is time to have standards that are even higher and come directly from our communities,” read Christie’s prepared remarks. “This new era can be even greater by adopting new standards right here in New Jersey – not 200 miles away on the banks of the Potomac River.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

More Stories

New and Totally Bizarre Baby Names

Stacey Newman/iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- If you're about to have a baby, please don't name him Billion. The experts implore you.

Citing data from the Social Security Department's Extended Name List, popular baby-naming site Nameberry has listed their picks for the 12 worst names.

"Swastik has to be the very worst, but Ruckus is right down there," said Pamela Redmond Satran, a Nameberry baby-naming expert.

Someone named their child Swastik? Not just one person -- to make the list, at least five babies had to be given this name for the first time in 2014. So a minimum of five people thought that was a good idea.

The Dirty Dozen:


Billion


"Cash is an up-and-coming baby name, and Rich has been around for decades," Nameberry said. "So how about coming out and naming a number? Billion was used for five baby boys for the first time this year, though there were also 11 boys named Million and babies of both sexes named Amillion."

Common

"If you are choosing a highly unusual name to help your child stand out from the crowd, this one does anything but."

Dagger

"Where will the trend for Bad Boy names end? Dagger is one of the new violent names added to the lexicon this year," Nameberry said.

Lay

The site said Lay was a name given to seven baby girls last year.

Londynne


Nameberry said London's been popular in recent years, and with "such popularity inevitably spawns spelling variations."

Mickinley


There were also five girls named Kennydi.

Payzley


It's another target "for spelling adventurists," Nameberry said.

Royaltee

"We’re not sure that new choices such as Royaltee, Royalti, and Royel set quite the right blueblood tone."

Ruckus

Given to eight babies in 2014.

Sadman

Nameberry called it "as grating as the “uplifting” new names like Excel (seven girls) or Legendary (five boys)."

Swastik

Given to seven boys.

Wimberly

"Wimberley is a particularly entertaining member of the kind of new name introduced by parents looking to improve on an original by giving it a new first initial, or switching a few letters or sounds around."


ABC News Videos | ABC Entertainment News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

More Stories

Lamborghini Announces Plans for Upcoming Luxury SUV

A Lamborghini Urus during a Audi group reception on March 11, 2013 in Munich, Germany. (Photo by Alexander Hassenstein/Getty Images)(NEW YORK) -- Italian carmaker Lamborghini has finally announced plans for its SUV, vying for customers with a taste for a luxury utility.

Automobili Lamborghini first introduced the Lamborghini Urus in 2012 at the Beijing auto show, but it announced its production plans on Wednesday. The company says it plans to introduce the SUV to market in 2018 and it will be produced in an expanded factory site in Sant'Agata Bolognese, Italy. The carmaker says it plans to produce around 3,000 cars, which will double company sales.

“The Lamborghini SUV is a big deal because it marks the Italian automaker’s return to this segment since the long-ago departed LM002, which was more like a Hummer than the luxury SUVs we see today," Matt DeLorenzo, managing editor for Kelley Blue Book, told ABC News.

There’s no price tag yet, but DeLorenzo predicts it will be in the $200,000-plus range.

Audi, which is owned by the German Volkswagen Group, acquired Automobili Lamborghini in 1998.

“Lamborghini, Italdesign Giugiaro and Ducati have developed very successfully under Audi parentage, and kept their Italian identity," Rupert Stadler, chairman of the board of Audi AG, said in a statement. "With the decision to produce the Lamborghini SUV in Sant’Agata Bolognese we have proven once more our commitment to Italy as an important automotive industrial nation.”

The SUV won't be Lamborghini's first foray in the utility space. The 1986 Lamborghini LM002, dubbed the "Rambo Lambo," was the predecessor to the Hummer H2. The U.S. military blew up a model that belonged to Saddam Hussein's son Uday in 2004 to simulate the effects of a car bomb. Time Magazine included it in a list of "50 Worst Cars of All Time" but "purely because of its appalling clientele." It fell victim to emissions and poor fuel economy, as well as business difficulties, DeLorenzo said.

Lamborghini's move to create a more conventional upscale crossover is testament to the strength of that market, especially in places like the United States and China, DeLorenzo said. He adds that the company needs the profits from this SUV -- which as a category tend to have high profit potential -- to maintain its ability to build limited-run high end sports cars.

Akshay Anand, analyst for Kelley Blue Book, said Lamborghini customers who need an SUV now have a reason to stay within the brand rather than purchasing elsewhere for lack of segment options.

"Loyalty is extremely important to automakers, and SUVs are critical for all brands to maintain loyalty as world markets continue to shift towards SUVs," Anand said. "Other exotic car companies have announced or will announce SUVs, and Lamborghini was certainly going to be a part of this wave."

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

More Stories

US Soccer Voting for Sepp Blatter's Rival in Upcoming FIFA Election Amid Arrests

FIFA President Sepp Blatter delivers his speech during the opening ceremony of the 65th FIFA Congress in Zurich, Switzerland on May 28, 2015. (Photo by Fatih Erel/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)(NEW YORK) -- The U.S. Soccer Federation will vote for the rival of incumbent FIFA president Sepp Blatter in Friday's election amid more than a dozen arrests of high-ranking FIFA officials accused of racketeering and corruption.

U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati Thursday said the federation will vote for Jordanian Prince Ali bin Al Hussein, the lone candidate running against Blatter, who is expected to win his fifth term as president of world soccer's governing body. He was not among those arrested or indicted Wednesday.

“For me, and for U.S. soccer, better governance and more integrity at CONCACAF and FIFA are far more important than hosting any international soccer tournament,” Gulati told The New York Times.

In a series of busts on Wednesday, authorities arrested nine current or former FIFA figures and five involved in sports marketing over allegations of racketeering and corruption involving more than $150 million in bribes and kickbacks spanning two decades, law enforcement officials said.

U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron posted to his Twitter account Thursday saying he supported the U.S. probe and issued a call for new FIFA leadership.

Blatter pledged Thursday that FIFA will cooperate with the investigations and vowed to work to restore trust in the organization.

The investigation grew out of allegations of payoffs to officials who decided where to hold the next two instances of the World Cup, the biggest international event in sports. The process landed the games in Russia for 2018 and Qatar in 2022, according to three senior U.S. law enforcement officials. The U.S. was runner-up to Qatar’s win.

The alleged wrongdoing reaches back as far as 1991, and in 2004, corruption purportedly played a role in the process of deciding who would host the 2010 World Cup, an honor that eventually fell to South Africa, according to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch. An indictment unsealed Wednesday laid out other alleged bribery schemes, including some involving high-dollar deals for marketing and broadcasting rights related to various tournaments.

FIFA's 209-member federations will vote by secret ballot Friday to elect the governing body's next president.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

More Stories

Why "Game of Thrones" Star Emilia Clarke Won't Google Herself Again

HBO(NEW YORK) -- It's safe to say that if you write something on the Internet about Emilia Clarke she won't read it. That's because the Game of Thrones actress refuses to search stories about herself on the web after the hit HBO series premiered in 2011 and she stripped down.

"I remember when everything first kicked off, I Googled myself. You just do; it's instinct," she said in Marie Claire U.K.'s July issue. "But never again. It just takes that one person who says, 'She's a fat b***h,' and you're like, 'I'm a fat b***h!'"

Clarke, who was often seen naked on the series' first season, said she's now cautious about being nude on screen. It's that very reason why she turned down the role of Anastasia Grey in the film adaption of Fifty Shades of Grey.

"I really wanted to work with [director] Sam Taylor-Johnson because she's f***ing amazing. But there is a huge amount of nudity in the film. I'll never say 'I'm never doing nudity,' because I've already done it, but I thought I might get stuck in a pigeonhole that I would have struggled to get out of," she explained.

One film in which Clarke doesn't strip down is Terminator Genisys, which hits theaters July 1. She's set to portray Sarah Connor opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke and Jai Courtney. Clarke said she tried her hardest to keep up with the guys in the film.

"Those  f***ing guns are super heavy. You're running with them a lot of the time, and I needed to keep up with, be better than the boys," she said. "I needed to know what to do to have Arnold go, 'Very nice.' That was my goal."

When Clarke isn't filming on the big or small screen, she doesn't have much time for a personal life. She doesn't even date, she said.

"I kept thinking that for clarity of mind, I had to be in one place. And then I just realized that's not how this life is going to work. It makes [dating] absolutely impossible," she explained. "I'm soppy and I do like to believe that when the right person comes along, it will work, because you want to make it work. Everyone else seems to manage it."

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

More Stories



news
05/28/2015
Tripp County Water User District doing upgrade work today
Tripp County water users could be without water for several hours today

05/28/2015
Free exercise classes being offered at the Burke Senior Citizens Building
Classes are held throughout the week

More News

Sports
05/28/2015
1 day football camp to take place next week in Winner!
Camp will be held on Thursday, June 4th

05/28/2015
Today's schedule
Little League Baseball on the schedule for this evening

More News

Make Us Your Homepage

TODAY'S WEATHER


LISTENER POLL

Summer is nearly here. When will the mercury hit 95 degrees for the first time?
May 20-31
June 1-10
June 11-20
June 21-30


LINKS


ABC News
Chamberlain Chamber
CNN News
Community Connection
Get Vault-Get To It
PINK POSSE
South Dakota Department of Labor
South Dakota High School Athletic Assoc.
Winner Chamber
Winner Resource Center
Country 1260 Mailbag
National Weather Service
Watch the Warriors




| HOME PAGE | WEATHER | NEWS | SPORTS | MAGIC 93 |
| AGRICULTURE | STAFF BIOS | COUNTRY 1260 | CONTESTS |
| PHOTO'S | HOROSCOPES | ADVERTISING | CONTACT US |
| RSS |

© 2015 Midwest Radio Corporation -- All Rights Reserved.

Lawrence and Schiller: Putting the Web to Work